Cream of Toasted Pecan Pea Soup
Toasted Pecans puréed with Mirepoix, Sweet Peas and Vinegar, served with Crushed Chips, Julienned Scallion, and Applewood Smoke. The smoke imparts a slight aroma to the soup that pulls the rest of the elements into its fold and brings them together.
Write a review
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 cups pecans (toasted)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 2 pounds sugar snap or green peas, cooked (can substitute frozen)
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- Scallion, thinly sliced (garnish)
- Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips (garnish)
- In a large sautee pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add onions, celery, and garlic, stirring often to avoid burning. (You can add a
- splash of water to deglaze the pan if it begins to get too brown.)
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until you get a nice golden brown.
- Season the onions/celery/garlic with salt and pepper then add the toasted pecans, light
- brown sugar, red pepper flakes, chili powder and 3 cups of water and bring
- pan to a simmer.
- Cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
- Using a measuring cup, scoop out 1/3 of the mixture and add to a blender along with 1/3 of the sugar snap peas.
- Blend until you get a very smooth texture, adding liquid from the pan as needed to thin mixture out.
- Press pureed mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a medium sized saucepan, discarding solids as you go.
- Repeat process for other 2/3 of mixture. (You may need to add extra water as you push through sieve, to get maximum yield.)
- Stir vinegar into soup, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup garnished with scallion and potato chips.
The Underground Kitchen https://theundergroundkitchen.org/ugk2015/